With the constant threat of viruses attacking our computers one can never let their guard down. Remember to always have antivirus software running and the definitions kept current. The most important thing, though, is to try to avoid virus infection in the first place. Here is a list of things that will help you to lessen the risk:
- Never open an attachment in an email that you are not expecting.
- Never provide login information to emailed solicitations
- Scan both your primary and backup drives with your antivirus software
- Keep Adobe Reader up-to-date
- Disable Java plugins in your browser
- Make sure that your OS updates are kept current
- Do not use the same password for all of your accounts
- Make your passwords long, no shorter than 12 to 16 characters. The longer the better.
There are many good anti-virus software applications on the market today. One of these, Microsoft Security Essentials, is free and very reliable. It can be downloaded from: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentials-download Another free and powerful tool is available at: www.malwarebytes.org An important thing to remember, your computer must have only one anti-virus application installed and no others. This also includes un-activated antivirus applications that may have come bundled with the system when you purchased the computer. Prior to installing any software check the list of installed applications to see if any are already there. Anti-spyware, on the other hand, can be installed on a computer that already has other ‘brands’ of anti-spyware software. It is actually important to use more than one since non seem to be able to locate all of the various types of spyware out there. In the event that your computer is compromised by viruses and/or malware Melchiori Technologies offers virus removal services.